You are Harriet Tubman, enslaved on a farm in Maryland, America. You daringly escape to the free North – but return to guide the rest of your family to freedom on the Underground Railroad. When Civil War breaks out, you fight under Abraham Lincoln and free 700 enslaved people on the Combahee River.
In this Experience, your class will learn about:
- Harriet Tubman’s life as an enslaved person, her role in freeing others and later as a soldier
- The Underground Railroad, its codes and those who provided safe houses
- The historical context, including the American North/South divide, the Civil War and Abraham Lincoln
Resources for each Experience include:
- For EYFS, Actions Storyboard, Song Sheet and Script
- For Key Stages 1 & 2, Storyboard, Quiz, Reading Comprehension, Writing Opportunities and Script